- March 20, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Real Estate
Have you ever considered furnished apartments as a viable option during your search for an apartment in Nigeria? Before you make any decision on whether you want to rent a furnished apartment, you should have a clear understanding of what they offer. This puts you in a position to see the advantages and disadvantages of furnished apartments.
Buying furniture for your new apartment might cost a lot of money depending on your style, needs and taste. However, this is not the only thing you should be concerned about when considering furnished apartments. Before we jump in, let us look at what furnished apartments are.
What are Furnished Apartments?
Furnished apartments are residential spaces that are equipped with certain amenities. These amenities include kitchen appliances, bathroom accessories and appliances, furniture and several others. The specific type of items that are in the furnished apartment will vary from one landlord to another. Another factor to take into account here is the type of apartment you’re planning to rent.
Now that we know what furnished apartments are, let’s proceed to look at the pros and cons of renting such apartments.
Pros of Renting Furnished Apartments
Several houses and apartments that are available for rent offer you the option of renting a furnished apartment. Have a look at the advantages of renting these apartments:
- If you are a first-time renter, this might be a great option for you as it saves you from committing a chunk of your budget to buying new furniture
- Some furnished apartments come with so much furniture, you might not need to buy any tangible furniture
- In a case where you still need to buy additional furniture and accessories, you can do this without any stress or fuss
- It eliminates the hassles of moving furniture during relocation
- It is a great option for you if you are considering a short-term lease
- Despite being a furnished apartment, you can personalise the interior design
- In a situation where you are in a very tight spot financially, it saves you the headache of running around to raise cash or borrowing from family and friends
Cons of Renting Furnished Apartments
As exciting as the concept of furnished apartments is, they have some disadvantages you deserve to know about. We don’t expect the real estate agent to point these out to you, but we will share some of them with you. Which are:
- Some furnished apartments only offer you the basics, which include a kitchen table, a bed and sofas,
- The furniture and accessories in the apartment were installed by the homeowner and don’t come free. You will end up paying much more than you would have paid for an unfurnished apartment.
- You don’t own the furniture. As such, you will be held fully responsible for damages.
- It leaves you with less room to manoeuvre your bulky furniture.
Final Thoughts on Renting Furnished Apartments
The top 3 factors that will steer your decision of renting a furnished apartment or an unfurnished apartment are your budget, your lifestyle and your needs at that point in time.
If you are the kind of person who travels and relocates quite frequently, furnished apartments would be an ideal choice for you. If, on the other hand, you have your own furniture and you don’t mind moving them around, then you will have no problem settling for an unfurnished apartment.
Before you rent a furnished apartment, be sure to ask the property owner to provide a list of furniture in the house. In some cases, you might even go as far as asking for pictures of the furniture to ascertain their condition.
if you are really keen on specifics, compare the rent of furnished apartments to the rent of an unfurnished apartment. Afterwards, you should then calculate how much you would need to spend on the extra furniture that you need.
Have you ever had to live in a furnished apartment? If you have, kindly share your experience with us. If you haven’t, is it something you would consider? Share your thoughts with us in the comment section.