- August 13, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Innovation, Real Estate
How to implement smart home technology
Although smart home technology can be implemented into an existing home, if you are buying a property off plan or are building a house yourself from scratch, it is best to make provisions for a smart home network and related infrastructure. This is true both with regards to how your home is actually designed as well as making room for appropriate wiring to be fixed.
A home network is made up of the intranet and internet. The intranet controls communication within a home while the internet enables you to communicate with your property when not present.
It is important that homeowners have reliable wireless and wired network systems, as all smart devices will need to connect to the central hub. This can involve significant planning and execution. If you are not buying a home with inbuilt smart features, it’s best to talk with a professional for guidance.
Most popular smart home features
The core smart home tech elements include:
- Heating & cooling
However, there are a several other home automation solutions currently available, each providing a number of benefits and catering to a variety of specific homeowner needs.
- Smart lighting systems can be customized and controlled remotely. Further, such systems can detect when rooms are occupied and adjust the lighting as required
- Thermostats allow for energy savings and comfort. Thermostats use sensors to learn your preferences and automatically adjust room temperatures to keep you comfortable
- Smart TVs can be turned on with voice or gesture recognition. Additionally, they can automatically download and save your favorite TV shows: ready for you to watch later
- Smart locks can detect when owners are nearby and automatically open doors for them. These systems can also be used to remotely grant or deny visitors access to certain rooms in your home
- Smart security cameras allow house owners to keep an eye on their homes from anywhere around the world
- Burglar detection devices such as glass break sensors, motion detectors and door sensors: provide extra security
- Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras can read your car plate number and open the front gates for your automatically
- Smart kitchen appliances make house chores such as doing laundry, home cleaning as well cooking much easier. For instance, fridges can keep track of food expiration dates and tell you when it’s time to do some shopping!
The use of smart home technology is growing globally. In Nigeria, home automation is evolving fast, with a number of modern luxury houses having been built.
Smart home technology allows for multiple benefits including giving you comfort, being able to use energy more efficiently as well as being able to secure your property.
Doors, windows, air conditioners, heaters, cameras etc.: can all be controlled with a flick of a button on your smartphone, or in some cases work automatically without input.
As well as allowing you to maintain your property easier, home automation also increases the value of real estate and makes your home easier to sell.
Source: Villa Afrika(2020)